Feb. 2, 1945:
Sisters of the Lamb
of God founded in
Brest, France by
Father René de la
mission opened in
July 4, 1967:
Sisters of the Lamb
of God approved by
Rome as a diocesan
March 11, 1968:
Death of the founder
Mission in Juarez,
In the first ten years, many communities of our congregation were
established in various parts of France with various ministries. You
see, in our congregation from the beginning we had no set
apostolate. Each sister used her gifts, training, abilities in whatever
apostolic work she could serve accordingly. Some worked in a home
for children, others in nursing homes, others cared for persons in
their own homes, some taught, some worked in parish ministries.
Fr. René de la Chevasnerie, S.J.
On February 2, 1945, at Brest, France,
Father René de la Chevasnerie, S.J.,
founded the Congregation of the
Sisters of the Lamb of God.
During his work as a retreat director, Fr.
René discovered many women were
unable to enter religious life because of
physical health or being older than the
customary age limit of 30. He wanted
our congregation to be open to all who
have a religious vocation regardless of
physical health limitations or age. We
welcome persons of all cultures, social
backgrounds and races. Thus our
congregation of healthy and persons
with physical disabilities witnesses to
the total Kingdom of God where all live
and work together in mutual support of
Our motherhouse Ker Jean has an
interesting history. Father René went
to several houses before he finally felt
that Ker Jean (which means House of
John) was just the right one.
It was badly damaged after World War
II, but Father René found a wood
carving of a lamb, a model of which
would eventually become our logo,
and he took this as a sign from God
that he should begin the Sisters of the
Lamb of God.
Women of all ages and
abilities were accepted
into the Sisters of the
Lamb of God and were
asked to bring what they
could. One sister even
brought a cow. The first
Superior General of the
Congregation has some
"fond" memories of
milking the cow.
This is Ker Jean
as she stands
horse--but still a
women of all
abilities and ages
are accepted into
|ARRIVAL IN AMERICA!
Our Founder's desire, "Go out to all the world and spread the Good
News." began to take shape when the congregation was only eight
years old. Contact was made with several bishops in America. Bishop
Francis R. Cotton of the Diocese of Owensboro, KY was so interested
in our congregation that he made a side trip to our motherhouse in
Brest, France on his regular trip to Rome. Bishop Cotton was very
impressed with our sisters and what he learned about the work we do
there. He asked us to establish a community in his diocese.
Our first works in Owensboro included census taking in many
parishes, caring for the needs of families, a kindergarten and later a
Sr. Mary John, the first Superior General of the
Sisters of the Lamb of God, arrives at the
Owensboro airport in 1961.
|Fr. René de la Chevasnerie, S.J.
founder of the Sisters of the Lamb of God
After a few voyages to
the United States (boat
was the means of
transportation then, a
five-day voyage), the first
community arrived in
1958 in time for
This is Pom Pom munching on the grass in front of
Ker Jean; the ever-faithful horse carried sisters (by
carriage) to teach at a nearby college in the 1950s.
|Sisters of the Lamb of God